Re: [tlug] Am I supposed to just know what I've installed?

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 23:01:34 +0900, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

The responsibility is with the documentation...?
That's where to start.
As has already been suggested check the package in your package manager. If you are using a gui manager look for the installed files section of that package. Look for files that indicate notes or docs or man files. Also note anything that is in a bin directory. i.e. executables.

For example...

dpkg -L firefox

shows these docs:

/usr/share/doc/firefox/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/firefox/copyright
/usr/share/doc/firefox/NEWS.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/firefox/MPL.gz
/usr/share/doc/firefox/README.Debian.gz

and this executable:

/usr/bin/firefox

Now try these for more.

man firefox
info firefox
firefox --help

If the output of dpkg -L firefox is too long redirct it to a file.

dpkg -L firefox > firefoxfiles

then brouse firefoxfiles in your favourite editor.