[tlug] System-wide MRU applet?

It would seem to me that one useful desktop function that KDE or Gnome might provide would be a system-wide "most recently used" file list. Of course, Emacs, OO, Abiword, Kedit, Gedit, etc., all have their own "recently opened" list. But it would also be useful to have a central list of files that were opened by various apps.

I guess it would not be that difficult to build something like this using cron and some shell scripts that find recent files and write symlinks to a "recent files" folder on the desktop.

But before I even consider this kind of task, I certainly don't want to reinvent the wheel if it's already been done. I can't turn up anything by Googling, and I've never seen an applet like this anywhere, but perhaps someone knows of, or has heard of such a thing?

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University
Faculty of Humanities