Re: [tlug] USB connection to scanner lost

Scott,

Thanks for replying.

I wonder if this is a permissions issue?...
What happens if you run xsane with sudo?

I gave this a shot, and there might be something to it. In sudo mode, Xsane opened up and detected the scanner. (It gave a warning saying that it was a bad idea to open it as super user, but I figured this once would be okay.)

But then when I tried to acquire a preview from the scanner, Xsane froze up and died.

So perhaps permissions are part of the equation. But, I'm not sure what files would need permissions to be changed? Is this something to do with "udev" or changing some file in the /dev directory? I only ask because I remember a while back that to get my Palm Pilot to connect, permissions had to be set inside a file that in turn set the right permissions for the files that got created when the device was plugged in. But it's all quite fuzzy to me and I'm not sure if the scanner works the same way.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft