Re: [tlug] Lost Japanese Input in OpenOffice

Dave wrote:

> I read a web page where a guy described a problem similar to mine, and
> he said he solved it by simply going to "System -> Administration ->
> Language Selector" and selecting Japanese. Then Japanese input was
> magically available in OpenOffice.
>
> I discovered that I didn't have a "Language Selector" option in my
> "System -> Administration" menu. So I downloaded and installed that
> package. When I first opened it, it gave me a little warning that said
> that I didn't have all the packages necessary to support my language
> options. It gave me an option to download those packages, and some of
> them were OpenOffice relate. Great, I thought. Seems to be on the right
> track, anyway.
>
> But, after doing that and making sure that both English and Japanese
> were enabled as available languages, I discovered that I *still* can't
> get any Japanese input in OpenOffice.

First of all, the menu item you want is called "Language Support." If it's
missing from your menu, then your Ubuntu installation is probably quite
seriously broken. If I were in your situation, I'd reinstall the whole
thing, leaving the Home partition in place.

Anyway, as I pointed out earlier, with Ubuntu you need to do the im-switch
thing once to enable Japanese input in OpenOffice and other applications
from the English locale.

For more, see this very good document:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SCIM

--