Re: [tlug] Lost Japanese Input in OpenOffice

Godwin Stewart wrote:
> I have this small script with which I prefix applications when I want
> to start them with support for Japanese input:

If I had to do that every time I wanted to use Japanese in a program, I would
not use Linux or recommend its use to anyone else.

In fact, though, I've set up RedHat-based, Debian-based, and Slackware-based
distributions, all of which have Japanese input capability without having to
use any special scripts or startup commands for individual programs. Of
these, openSUSE is probably the best for Japanese support right out of the
box, so long as Japanese is designated as a supported language in the setup
process. With SCIM installed, you can switch to just about any language on
the fly, in all applications. Maybe I'm missing something, but why should it
be any more difficult than this? Basically, the package manager takes care of
it all.

--
Wataru Tenga, Tokyo