Re: [tlug] (OT) Reverse DNS resolution blues- ISP recommendations?

On 3/10/07, Curt Sampson <cjs@??> wrote:
If they're [AOL] accepting mail and then quietly throwing it out, that's
a pretty bad thing; I would think that they would at least have the
courtesy to reject the message instead, so that problems could be
debugged.

I was one of the clueless and stupid people who joined MSN in 1996 - and when I quit sometime in 1997, bloody Microsoft black-holed all mail sent to my old address for the next two years. I tested it from various addresses and always nothing was delivered (no problem there, I opted out of the Evil Empire), and nothing was returned (not ethical and not nice). I later found out that I lost some valuable mail that friends assumed I had received from them since there was no indication that the mail wasn't delivered. Probably illegal Microsoft thought that a vast quantity of returned mail from MSN accounts (a lot of people quit around the same time when they realized how much they were being overcharged for very shoddy and intermittent service) would hurt their corporate image.

This is one of the things that illuminated what a rotten, immoral and
illegal company Microsoft was - and still is.  AOL isn't much better.

Lyle