Re: [tlug] Video streamer

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 10:32:16AM +0900, Wataru Tenga wrote:
> Thread-stealing alert!

> Forrest wrote:
>
> > Hi Gang. Can anyone suggest a version of Linux that has good video
> > streaming server software?

Forrest, what Wataru means is that you simply changed the subject line
of a previous message and sent your message.  That's a no no (and shows
you're not a real geek yet.)  :)

The trouble is, that standards compliant (most Linux and other Unix-like
system clients--but not, AFAIK, MS' Outlook and Outlook Express) will
show your video streaming post as part of the thread about DNS.

For an example, you can look at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html

Look in the netiquette section or search the page for hijack, which will
explain it and has a picture.  (Also, you'll note, if you look at the
tlug archives, that Curt's post on DNS is shown as a reference for your
post.)

(Also, at the very beginning of that section is a link to Godwin's page
on netiquette, which gives an even better explanation.)

The purpose of this overly long email is to help other newcomers who
might see it.  It's a very very common mistake, I made it myself when I
was first learning about the Internet.

Most of us can see that you used Outlook to send your email--it's not as
obvious in Outlook as it is in some other mail clients, but that's all
part of learning.  Don't be angry that you were singled out here--Wataru
pointed out the error, but I feel it's worth explaining.  If you go
through the tlug archives, you'll see that many other people have made
the same mistake.  As I think I've said in this epistle, this is how you
learn.

The way to start a new subject is to write a new email--don't erase the
previous subject line, insert your own, and send it off to the list.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Joyce: Have we met?
Spike: You hit me with an ax one time. Remember? Uh, 'Get the hell
away from
my daughter!'
Joyce: Oh. So, do you, uh, live here in town?