Re: [tlug] (OT) Reverse DNS resolution blues- ISP recommendations?

Curt Sampson wrote:

You'll have to explain yourself in a different way so I can understand. I took your statement, "That's pretty well guaranteed to be rejected by many mail servers, quite likely when you connect" to mean that my connection or my mail would be rejected, yet I've successfully delivered thousands of mail messages though those servers, and not had a single bounce due to the remote end not liking my in-addr.arpa records.

That's exactly the point. Maybe I'm not particularly articulate, but Scott, Godwin and I have said that reverse domain name lookups are important and that many (most?) email servers will reject or flag as spam emails originating from servers with dodgy hostnames. That is exactly the problem Scott is having. Many networks won't even let you send email from your server (blocking outgoing port 25) forcing you to send via their email server (sending via the OCN server would be my solution). Every system is different and your own personal experience is pretty well irrelevant.

Brett