Re: [tlug] KDDI cellphones and encoding

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 10:04:25AM +0900, Wataru Tenga wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
>
> > The fellow for whom I'm asking merely said that the phone
> > was his senpai's, and that for whatever reason, various members of their
> > group would blame Linux for not being compatible with everyone else's
> > things.
>
> I did notice that your mutt headers contain no charset information at all.
> Perhaps that's part of the problem?

No, it's not relevant.  A quick recap for anyone coming in on the end of
the thread.  The question was originally posed on the ArchLinux mailing
list.  I told the fellow who posted that I would ask about it on tlug.

He can read messages sent him by cell.  (That's how he figured out that
his senpai was using ISO-2022-JP.  Unfortunately, Arch doesn't have
ISO-2022-JP charset or locale, so his senpai can't read his UTF-8
emails.

I've been posting from the list either from console or in mlterm with no
LC_CTYPE.  My headers aren't relevant to the issue.

Meanwhile, I've posted back to the ArchLinux list that apparently, newer
KDDI phones can read UTF-8.  The problem isn't that the ArchLinux user
can't read what he's sent--others can't read what he sends them in
UTF-8.

His workaround, at present, is to use gmail.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: I didn't say you were stupid! So... stop being an idiot
and let me fix this!