Re: [tlug] KDDI cellphones and encoding

Darren Cook wrote:

> > The last time I tried sending UTF-8 mail to a Docomo phone (and quite an
> > old one, too), it worked for me. But this was for mail only; their web
> > browsers/proxies understand only Shift_JIS.
>
> Perhaps I'm confused on Docomo then; I've not tried recently. (But
> vodafone definitely failed with UTF-8, as of yesterday :-).

It depends on which Vodafone. The company uses a lot of different software
(I think worldwide they use something like a dozen different operating
systems), but if the software uses the Vodafone VSCL 1.1 service class
libraries or newer, it should be UTF-8 friendly.ã(At the very least, the
Java manifest and JAD files it uses are UTF-8 text files.)

As for DoCoMo, I tested UTF-8 successfully on an older F504iS model as well
as a newer FOMA model.

--
Wataru Tenga, Tokyo