Re: [tlug] KDDI cellphones and encoding

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 08:17:31AM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Scott Robbins wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 12:58:32AM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> >

> >Seriously, would pine convert it even if the locale is not present on
> >his system?
>
> Yes. Pine can be set to basically ignore locales, and just use Iconv to
> convert ISO-2022-JP and Shift_JIS to EUC-JP for display, and convert
> back to ISO-2022-JP for what it sends. It's not an optimal solution, but
> at least it works for a lot of cases.

I suppose there's probably an easier way to do it with mutt too (rather
than my earlier thought of piping it to iconv > textfile and reading the
textfile back into the email.  :)

I've been doing a bit of cursory googling on this and it seems that if I
could get the charset in with the other charsets, I could just do
locale-gen.

I think the fellow who originally had the difficulty should simply nag
the Arch developer, who is a mellow sort of person, to add ISO-2022.  :)

Once again, many thanks to everyone.  At this point, I think I've taken
it as far as I feel like taking it--I had thought I'd google and find
something like oh yeah, just download this into that directory and
you're done.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Giles: You never train with me anymore. He's gonna kick your ass.