Re: [tlug] ruby and python in Japan

On 1 mars 07, at 23:06, Curt Sampson wrote:
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

(un) Common Lisp:
   Rest in peace.

Oh, I don't know about that. For all the issues it has, it does have some very good points, too, from what I understand, such as the very large set of standard libraries. I think it actually could have been what Java is, had there been a freely available implemenation.

There are plenty of free (as in GNU-free) implementations of common lisp.

clisp for one.

Javascript:
   A whole 'nuther smoke, this is (normally) a client-side
   interpreted language, heavily dependent on a standard DOM.  Ie,
   can be combined effectively with any of the above, which are
   server-side.

A reasonably nice language, and a perfect example of how lack of library
standardization can kill a decent language.

And the common point between Common Lisp and Javascript is that they are both standards: Common lisp is ANSI and Javascript is ECMA (if I remember well...)

JC