Re: [tlug] ruby and python in Japan

I'm a Rubyist, though mostly because I still don't have the Haskell chops I'd like to have.

I've played a bit with Rails, but I don't use it. My main issues with it
were:

    1. The folks who wrote it subscribe to the MySQL of RDBMSes,
    basically, "assume it's really stupid." This makes you do more
    programming than necessary, increases the chances of errors in your
    system, and limits the things you can do.

    2. If you do just what the framework is designed to let you do, life
    is easy and wonderful. As soon as you want to do more, and you get
    into the guts of the framework, you're in a whole different world,
    and one involving much more difficult programming.

Your mileage may vary, of course. There are a lot of people out there
who swear by Rails, though I suspect that these are not also the sort of
people who are also comfortable writing their own unit test frameworks
from scratch.

As for Ruby vs. Python, I'm not sure that there's a lot to chose from
there. Both suck less than the more popular alternatives (though C# may
be making some interesting leaps and bounds, from what I've heard and
seen). Neither has particularly powerful abstractions compared to the
functional languages. If I were chosing one for a particular project,
I'd go with the one known by the most expert programmer in the group.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson       <cjs@??>        +81 90 7737 2974