Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Nguyen Vu Hung writes:

 > FYI, Turbull asked you to run

Actually, I didn't.

> uname -a
> cat /etc/rel*
> g++ -v
> > and post the output.

Well, if Brett considers it worth solving the problem, that's halfway
there.  We also need to see the same info for the system where it's
known to work, for the toolchain configuration used to build the
working executable.  I'm willing to trust Brett to know whether he
needs this badly enough to go through that pain.

Thanks, I appreciate the concern. It is very important; I'm dealing with legacy code that is 8 years old. I don't even know which Linux and when it was originally running. We think an early Red Hat. The current binary is running on FreeBSD 4.11. When I first asked the question I though this would only be a syntax type problem but based on Stephen's response and subsequent investigation I realise it's more fundamental.

There is a new, only 7 years old version, that was gcc'd but doesn't have our customization. I tired applying our customization to the new version but the difference between all the versions is too great for a non C++ programmer like me to handle so I'm trying to shoe horn the non-customized but compiling gcc'd version into our new system. Plus it's all in Japanese so I'm having *lots* of fun.

The programme is Freya, a (old abandon-ware) search engine, and yes replacing it would be a great idea and that is probably what I'll end up doing.

Brett