[tlug] GPL philosophy and application

For those interested in GPL stuff, there's an excellent thread on the
LKML entitled "GPL vs non-GPL device drivers".

The names to watch are David Schwartz and Michael K. Edwards (whose
general stances I'm very comfortable with) and Alexandre Oliva (who is
more FSF than I like, but he knows his philosophy of law).  Quality of
other posters varies greatly.

Edwards makes a claim that there is now precedent for the GPL, and the
FSF interpretation lost on pretty much all counts, in German and
U.S. courts.  I haven't read the case yet, but it sounds like you can
get the Cliff's Notes version in Larry Rosen's book (ie, the judges
agree with Larry).

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0702.1/index.html
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0702.2/index.html