Re: [tlug] rsync vs dd [was Tlug Digest, Vol 14, Issue 23]

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:34:47 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull"
<turnbull@??> wrote:

>  > dd will copy the hd from one location to another exactly as is
>  > same size.
>
> However, I don't think this will work for CD or DVD; I doubt that dd
> can do all the work the mkisofs and cdrecord do.

It doesn't really matter. Nothing says that the data burned to a DVD or
CD *has* to be an ISO image. It can be, for example, a tar file:

# tar -c[z,j]f - whatever | cdrecord {options} -pad -

You'd then recover the data easily enough:

# tar -x[z,j]f /dev/hdc

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@??

"A reputation for releasing inferior software will make it more
 difficult for a software vendor to induce customers to pay for
 new products or new versions of existing products."
              -- Microsoft