Re: [tlug] rsync vs dd [was Tlug Digest, Vol 14, Issue 23]

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 > dd will copy the hd from one location to another exactly as is same size.

However, I don't think this will work for CD or DVD; I doubt that dd
can do all the work the mkisofs and cdrecord do.

Sorry I wasn't clear about that. I *ass*u*me*d he would copy the file to a hard drive or other device and then write the compressed file to a cd/dvd using the software of his choice, as you suggested below.

> I would also suggest not copying the proc/ folder because of the fact > that running process are there including your rsync process and it will > just keep copying the instance of itself till it eats up all your disc > space. So add --exclude=/proc and you will be good.

I don't think that's true. rsync makes a list of files that need
copying and copies each one, once.
Unfortunately proven very true with disastrous consequences on Sol2.6 and 8. On 2.6 the hard disc was already bad with no mirror and I wasted valuable time dicking around and the hard drive died in mid rsync after I had figured out what the problem was and excluded that directory. But live and learn that is what backups are for. Lucky I had one. On 8 I was just testing to see if it would happen again so I didn't really break anything. The result was a /tmp/proc folder over 8 gigs when I stopped it on 8.
Of course you don't want to copy
/proc, but more because the data is volatile and read-only, and big
(/proc/kcore, for example). More important is that you don't want to
copy something like /dev/random or /dev/zero, which never return EOF.
Yes I forget about /dev my over site for not including that the first time around.
I really think that rather than try to back up the whole hard drive in
one shot, you should back up /etc, /home, /var, and maybe /usr/local
and /boot. /var should contain your pms state, so you don't really
need /usr, /bin, or /sbin. /proc and /dev you shouldn't touch for the
reasons above.
If you really want to use dd, I would recommend partitioning the HDD
and using dd to write the partitions to files, which can be compressed
and burned to DVD.
I think it would be helpful if we knew what the end goal was here.

Are we trying to replace the existing hard disc so it can be swapped with a larger one and restored on to the new drive keeping the same OS and settings or do you just want to a exact copy of your hard drive for backup purposes?

E./

--
Erin D. Hughes