[tlug] flaming posts --nomikai necessity (off topic)

In reference to the phenomena of "flaming" posts, there is an article in
the nytimes.

 http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/20/health/psychology/20essa.html

Basically, they state that a lack of face to face connection means our
neurological system can not detect agitation, uncomfortableness in
others and so we happily flame away whereas in person we would inhibit
ourselves naturally.

"In face-to-face interaction, the brain reads a continual cascade of
emotional signs and social cues, instantaneously using them to guide our
next move so that the encounter goes well. Much of this social guidance
occurs in circuitry centered on the orbitofrontal cortex, a center for
empathy. This cortex uses that social scan to help make sure that what
we do next will keep the interaction on track"

I guess this is of particular interest to me knowing a child without
such an ability even in face-to-face interaction, and knowing that he
needs to be taught cognitive self-monitoring as a replacement for the
natural neural inhibition system.

I used to think this forum was a little edgy but now view it as mostly a
place of socially aware and considerate people.  I don't know if you've
ever seen a 5 year old saying he thinks his teacher is ugly, wants to
see her become a skeleton, and wonders what will happen if he leaves her
in the street bleeding.  Good thing she knows he is just expressing his
mild disagreement with her decision.  Then he will declare himself king
and that he gets to make all the rules as a way to try and change what
they have to draw from a bear to a map.  The boy just doesn't have the
neurological wiring that gives him the feedback to know what impression
his statements are making.  This is a daily, well sometimes hourly
occurrence.

Maybe this is what makes nomikai's such a necessity.  Sorry if I don't
make it to them but have to try to make the 5-yr-old understand what
other people think about what he is flaming without any awareness of it.
I use DVD's alot for this and that is why I was so disappointed with
MacBook's new hardware making it tough view DVD's from different
regions.

Shawn