Re: [tlug] rsync vs dd [was Tlug Digest, Vol 14, Issue 23]

Evan Monroig wrote:
On 2/20/07, Erin D. Hughes <erin-hughes@??> wrote:
you could use rsync with the -z option and that will compress your data.

As far as I know, the -z option is for compression of the data during the *transfer*, not for storage. So if you rsync between computers it is faster, but the space occupied on disk will be the same.

Thanks Evan apparently a little more reading was needed on my part;

-z, --compress
With this option, rsync compresses any data from the files that
it sends to the destination machine. This option is useful on
slow connections. The compression method used is the same method
that gzip uses.

Note this this option typically achieves better compression
ratios that can be achieved by using a compressing remote shell,
or a compressing transport, as it takes advantage of the implicit
information sent for matching data blocks.

"With this option, rsync compresses any data from the files that it sends to the destination machine." Says it all. This also cleared up my misunderstanding of what a compression format is being used, "The compression method used is the same method that gzip uses."

Could someone suggest the correct method to copy from one place to another and achieve a compressed file in the end?

Erin D. Hughes GMO Internet,