Re: [tlug] Pre-installed linux?

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 06:13:04PM +0900, burlingk@?? wrote:
> > ------------------------------
> >

> On the subject of used computer parts, How good are celerons and durons
> for running linux?  If you are not using the machine for video games, how
> effective are the "low end" processors?  I have never been able to bring
> myself to buy one, but I am thinking of building a new box soon, and I
> mainly have the goals of cheap, linux compatible, and able to get online
> and compile c++ code. :P  I intend the machine to be 100% GNU/Linux, no
> Windows.  I may or may not install wine.

I have a fairly old Duron that I use as a test box.  I've never had any
problems with it.  On the other hand, I don't do all that much with it.

I've actually used a Celeron at work as an emergency server.  The nice
thing about Linux and the BSDs is that if you are using a generic
kernel, you can pop the hard drive into another machine and it works.
If you've ever tried that with Windows, you know that it has to go
through about 40 reboots while discovering new hardware.

On the Duron, I've put on some of the KDE and Gnome distros--I didn't
find them noticeably slow, however, on my better boxes, I don't install
KDE or Gnome, so it might be that what I considered normal for those two
desktops is slow for people who are used to them.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Spike: Should I really trust you?
Adam: Scout's honor.
Spike: You were a Boy Scout?
Adam: Parts of me.