Re: [tlug] HTML email [was: Pre-installed linux?]

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:24:23 +0900, <burlingk@??> wrote:

> I must say that between the two, Outlook express is in many ways
> rather superior to Outlook,

For one thing, Outlook was never designed for Internet mail. It was
designed to work in an int*RA*net with M$-sExchange doing the storing.

Trouble is, someone had the bright idea of implementing standard POP3
and SMTP protocols in Outlook as well as the proprietary Exchange
stuff, and now we have a whole slew of Internet users using Outlook for
Internet mail, with all the implications that that has, such as broken
threading, HTML mail with hundreds of lines of CSS. A real dog's dinner.

> and costs about sixty to a hundred dollars less... (i.e. it's
> generally free).

Except that you still need to buy Windows to use it. Why anybody would
want to do either is still beyond me!

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@??

"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their
home."
                -- Ken Olson, President of DEC, World Future Society
                   Convention, 1977