[tlug] HTML email [was: Pre-installed linux?]

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:

 > MUA vendors have preferred to delegate the problem to generally
 > uninformed and tasteless users and in an inappropriate language, to
 > boot.

I should clarify that, as Knuth himself points out in the TeXbook,
typeface and document style design are both high arts.  "Uninformed
and tasteless" is a mild deprecation, not a harsh condemnation.  In
the context of writing an email (among others ;-), I fall into the
same class---I'm not competent to design an appropriate style, let
alone inclined to put in the effort.