Re: [tlug] Pre-installed linux?

On 2/11/07, Charles Muller <acmuller@??> wrote:
Scott Robbins wrote:

> I don't know, every time I see something like this, I get annoyed at
> Ubunutu all over again.

I'm glad to hear this. I have three Dells and I've tried to install
Ubuntu on each one of them about three times, and have never gotten a
screen display. Now I know it wasn't my fault.

All of my Dells are now running fine with Debian Etch.

I'll have to try Debian again. I had trouble installing it the last time I tried (a couple of years ago I think).

As for Dells - ever since having a couple of them die from exploding
capacitors (I know, I know, they were not the only company affected,
but still...), I've switched over to buying mainly Fujitsu's and
Hitachi's.  I have also bought Epson and Toshiba, but the two
Toshiba's I've had experience with were needlessly complicated in
construction, making parts swapping difficult.  Epson seems to be
good, but supply of used boxes is very limited.  Fujitsu is plentiful,
and the one's I've worked with seem to be of good design and easy to
change parts on.  The Hitachi computers I've used I really liked - but
supply is limited for them as well.  The most recent Hitachi I've set
up and had a look inside is the best designed compact micro-tower I've
seen (of assembly-line boxes) - (and it works fine with Kubuntu).

Lyle