Re: [tlug] Pre-installed linux?

On 2/11/07, Scott Robbins <scottro@??> wrote:
I had no problems with the Gentoo Live CD and this was awhile ago--I
believe everyone but Ubuntu fixed it shortly after it happened.  (Ok,
NOW, I'm being petty--but it's so much fun.)   The nice thing about
LiveCDs is that they don't take long to try.

Yes, I am currently typing this message from the Gentoo LiveCD. Download to execution in less than 30 minutes.

I don't know if you're looking for a newcomer friendly type distribution
or something more difficult, for learning.  Other newcomer friendly ones
that aren't based on Ubuntu and that at least work with my Matrox are
PCLinuxOS and Vector.

Well, I haven't run Linux personally since I ran a LAMP stack for development stuff on Debian on a scrapped 486 (I don't even remember what version it was back then) in 2002. I'm not a Linux newcomer, but I have been out of the game for awhile, and even when I was in the game, I wasn't that heavy of a user. It was more to play with.

But this time around I'm serious about learning.  In my job I speak
with a lot of UNIX SAs, and I realize just how far I've fallen behind
(the more technical posts on this list don't help my complex, either).
Maybe I am a masochist, but I do prefer the "advanced" distributions
even if I'm not.  So I guess I'm in for the learning.

I think in the short term, I've decided on Ubuntu.  Gentoo seems good
too, so I'll report back -- if I have video problems, I'll try this
instead.

Mark