Re: [tlug] Linux, Solaris & AIX

On 2/9/07, Amy & Don Johnson <amydonj@??> wrote:

months - specifically, I have been thinking about studying on my own for the Red Hat Certified Engineer exams. Is this a good idea or would there be a better way to prepare during the next 10 months for a Sys Admin position? Any advice will be appreciated.

I recommend building a good foundation. Understanding the details of the client/server model (i.e. how inetd works with other services) is just one an example.

I have not taken any courses leading to a RHCE certificate. But for
the courses that I have taken, I would say that working toward a
certification can help you come up to speed more quickly. Besides
certifications being good for credibility, studying for exams give you
an opportunity to examine your strengths and weaknesses. And IMO
you're in better standing to have a cert than not to have one. But
there is no substitute for experience.

You should consider working toward becoming an expert in another area
as well (i.e. storage, web services, ect).

Which ever path you decide, I recommend that you create a training
plan for yourself to help you stay focused on your short and long term
goals. Plus whenever you find yourself unemployed, knowing what you
need to do in the interim is an excellent way to keep your spirits up.

HTH,

Uva Coder