Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 03:27:56 -0800 (PST)
From: "mike miller B-\)" <miklmiller@??>
Subject: Re: [tlug] Linux, Solaris & AIX
To: Tokyo Linux Users Group <tlug@??>

The previous posts provide some good commentary on your question, there are certainly major differences between Linux and UNIX. Be aware that the major UNIX variants are from companies that provide both the OS and traditionally proprietary hardware. That is impoortant, because the support in that sense is "tightly coupled" in contrast to Linux primarily supporting commodity h/w. One of the major "problems" within UNIX itself is the major differences between the variants which is one of the reasons Windows gained a large share of the server market.

   As an example, "OSF" was developed by IBM, HP, and DEC and implemented differently in the respective OSes (i.e. AIX, HP-UX, and OSF/DEC Unix/Tru64). A lot of the basic concepts (storage, software, etc. management) are the essentially the same but appear quite different (command names, directory structure, etc.) I support an environment with AIX, Solaris, a few IRIX and Tru64 systems which is in a process of converting primarily to Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  One technique when supporting multiple environments is to write scripts using case statements defining commands, pathing, etc. based on the OS. Of course a lot of third party software installation scripts do just that.

At least in Linux distributions, the kernel is the same whereas the same can't be said for the UNIX systems. I support SuSE as a volunteer at a nature center and it is different (primarily from an admin perspective) than Red Hat. So when I do work there, I have to dig a little deeper to understand how something is accomplished but it hasn't been that much of a problem.

The bottom line is to sell your knowledge of basic concepts (OS, networking, security, etc.) and your abilities to learn, adapt, etc. to new s/w and h/w. Although it might sound arrogant I tell people they can bring in an ABC computer running the XYZ operating system (assuming UNIX/Linux) and given the opportunity I'll be able to ramp up to it in a reasonable time. A lot of HR people simply focus on matching "experience" on specific platforms to what they have instead of the inherent abilities of the individual.

   Of course it is easier and quicker to adapt to something you already know but if you have a strong background don't let something different stop you. As one of the previous posts suggested (downloading Solaris), make the extra effort to demonstrate your willingness and ability to go "above and beyond". I also tell people that if I don't know something, I'll do my best to "make up the difference" - even on my own time (buying your own books, training, etc. if necessary). I can justify that based on my interest in OS, that I plan to be doing this for a long time and that I "play for keeps".

Good luck,

Mike

"Erin D. Hughes" <erin-hughes@??> wrote: Jason Hall wrote:
I've been noticing a few job postings that ask for Solaris or AIX experience.
I've never used either one. Since I'm looking for a new job, I've been talking
to a couple recruiters and they don't seem to know the difference.
That's why they are recruiters not admins. ;)
How similar would Solaris and AIX be to linux? Is it feasible to get a Unix job
using Solaris with Linux experience?
I went from Windows 4 years->Linux 2 years ->Solaris

It wasn't always easy but I believe if you are a competent Linux admin the switch would not be so difficult, heck I did it. The major areas that I find different are initial install and configuration can be a bit more tedious, (no hate mail please) and some of the commands, their switches and file locations are a bit different.
Like this:
ps -ax is what I use in Linux
ps -ax doesn't give you anything in solaris .... but ps -ef gives you everything you could want.

/etc/fstab in Linux
/etc/vfstab in solaris

or  network  interfaces

/etc/network/interfaces Debian/Ubuntu
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 Red Hat variants
/etc/hostname.iprb0 in Solaris

There is nothing that anybody who wanted to can not figure out.

Just as a word of advice. Set your self up a Solaris 10 box and see what it takes to get comfortable with it.

Regards,

Erin