[tlug] re:OT: receiving money by Paypal in Japan

For most travelers the PO ATM's accepting their home Visa card is just too good to be true. And the darn things even speak English. Incredible.

For small amounts, I found that the Paypal overhead from my Paypal to a Japanese paypal was rather large, by the time it got through all the banks and into real money, i.e. 500 yen out of 3500.

But for people coming from the US, it is also worth noting that the local US post office will sell you a PO money order for a few dollars (plus face amount), which you can cash at any PO in Japan.

David Riggs

(still Debian, no longer in Kyoto, but in the truly frozen (-20 C) plains of Ohio.)