Re: [tlug] Linux, Solaris & AIX

Samba is very important
So is not top posting..... http://www.tlug.jp/listpolicy.php
I am the not a stickler for following the rules.... but this is a no brainer.

E./

*/"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@??>/* wrote:

    mike miller B-\) writes:

    > One of the major "problems" within UNIX itself is the major
    > differences between the variants which is one of the reasons
    > Windows gained a large share of the server market.

    I agree that differences between UNIX variants was a major obstacle to
    adoption, but they are generally quite interoperable over the network;
    after all, TCP/IP achieved World Domination when Linus was in diapers,
    and Berkeley sockets are part of POSIX.

    The reason that Windows gained share in the server market is that
    Windows built-in services (specifically file and printer sharing) were
    generally incompatible with everything except Windows. Since Windows
    machines were the obvious cost-effective solution for the business
    desktop, that implied using Windows servers.

    That's why Samba is so important.

-- To unsubscribe from this mailing list,
please see the instructions at http://www.tlug.jp/list.html

    Please visit our sponsor at http://www.003765.jp/tlug/