Re: [tlug] OT: receiving money by Paypal in Japan

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 23:09:58 -0700
> From: "David J Iannucci" <jlinux@??>
> Subject: Re: [tlug] OT: receiving money by Paypal in Japan
> To: "Tokyo Linux Users Group" <tlug@??>
>
> > The most economical way is usually to use a credit card.  Normally
> > they give you the spot rate for the exchange, so at worst you pay
> > interest for a month.  Check your credit card's terms.
>
> Yes, but I neglected to explain that I want to take advantage of the
> current rate, which is pretty good, rather than gamble with what the
> rate will be when I'm over there next month.
>
> Thanks for the response,
> Dave

That is understandable.
If it is of any comfort though, you don't have too much to worry about there.  The rate fluctuates most of the time between 113 and 118 yen to the dollar. Once in the last three years it spiked majorly, but that only lasted for about three days.  I am not sure what happened economically, but it was enough of a spike to prompt me to convert 500$ worth immediately. ^^

The exchange rate though has been fairly stable for a while, and improves a bit whenever the US economy starts to get weird.