Re: [tlug] Presentation suggestion for the next meeting...

Shannon Jacobs wrote:
I should have said "creating a small database application" as painlessly as painlessly as possible. This is actually related to my earlier query, which I still haven't found the time to pursue very far. The specific application I'm holding in my mind currently has about 2,000 records in each of two primary tables, but that's a long-term accumulation. It actually grows about 50-100 records per year in each table.

Since my concrete example is book-related, I suppose it would be really jazzy if it could link to external databases of books. However two problems with that are that I think many of the books won't be found in any single source, and there might be some more general (non-book-specific) example that would be of broader interest. However, I'm a little hard-pressed to think of a good generic example. The address-book thing has been done to death...
I think if we're looking for a presentation on this topic, it might be interesting to have a comparison of a few different softwares/frameworks/methodologies used for this purpose. For example, Ruby on Rails could probably achieve such a simple, web-based application with minimal code/effort (which seems to be the point?).

I have my own PHP based framework I've written to handle the job when I need a "quick application" with database capabilities (e.g. I have a keitai-accessible Web personal expense program). Probably could have done it on Rails as well, with less effort, but still.

Possibly the conversation could be two things: (1) a review of existing frameworks to achieve the necessary database abstraction to some (OO-enabled) language, and (2) a discussion on how one would go designing a new one for the purpose of future applications (but then again, as a certain project manager I know says "no one needs a better mousetrap").

Thoughts?

Mark