[tlug] P-IV, 2.4GHz, 500MB DDR - Y20,000

Just a hardware update.  I previously posted regarding a new Epson that is sold with Turbo Linux preloaded from the factory.  The price of the machine was quite reasonable, but the specs weren't great and upgrade option were pricey.  So... I looked at used machines and ended up buying one with these specs:

P-IV-2.4GHz CPU
512MB DDR RAM (333MHz)
40GB HDD

The shop used to sell computers like this with Brand-W W2K pre-loaded, and this one had it in for testing and demo purposes, but the shop now vaporizes Brand-W before the computer goes out the door.  Whether they do this because Brand-W is fundamentally dangerous out in the real world, or because Brand-W goons have threatened them is unclear. In any case, I would have vaporized Brand-W myself if they hadn't,

I've loaded Kubuntu 6.10 into the box and it's humming away - running much quicker than my old 450Mhz box!  Everything, including OpenOffice Writer, opens quite quickly and it's a joy to use after having gotten used to waiting a little for things with the older box.  Yah CPU cycles!

Lyle