[tlug] Re: Stand Up for OpenOffice!!

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:16:02 +0900
> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com>
> Subject: Re: [tlug] Re: Stand Up for OpenOffice!!
> To: Tokyo Linux Users Group <tlug@example.com>

> I don't think you have yet grasped the requirement.  *We have a
> working system in place.*  We need to show that use of OOo does not
> involve major losses compared to the "industry standard", which is
> working just fine, thank you very much.  Preferably in combination
> with major gains in some areas.
>
> Or at least "working system" is the perception.  To combat that
> perception, I need to demonstrate a working setup for at least a small
> group that interacts effectively with the existing system, using
> heterogenous platforms (specifically, the ones participants already
> have).  There will be no volunteers under current conditions, and
> unlike City Hall I am not in position to compel anyone.

What may be needed to propperly demo Open Office is to actually install linux on a cheap machine.  I know this is not a "cheap and easy" way to demo the software, but if problems concistently arrise when demoing from the disc, but not from a hard drive, then that may be something to concider.

As for on Macs, same suggestion, just using the Mac native program mentioned above instead of standard Open Office for mac. ^^;

I'm not taking sides in the overall argument, I am simply throwing out a suggestion. :)