Re: [tlug] Stand Up for OpenOffice!!

> Message: 11
> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:50:06 +0900
> From: Dave M G <martin@example.com>
> Subject: Re: [tlug] Stand Up for OpenOffice!!
> To: Tokyo Linux Users Group <tlug@example.com>

<snip>
> Before switching to OpenOffice, I had used MS Office for... a decade?
> Pretty much since it ever existed. And I'm perfectly happy with the
> switch because I can say with absolute assurance that while
> OpenOffice
> may not be perfect, MS Office is no standard to judge by. I've had my
> share of hair-pulling experiences trying to get Word to
> format a table,
> or trying to navigate the help files in Excel, and other annoyances.
<snip>

My biggest gripe with MS Office is that it doesn't want to let me format

things the way I want them formatted.  It makes assumptions about how
things
are meant to be done, based on how "they are usually done" by whatever
group they use for their research.  This consistently gives me headaches
while
performing tasks that my old type writer had no problems with over a
decade ago.  Any time an Office Suite, especially one with as much money
behind it as MS Office, is harder to use than a purely mechanical piece
of
equipment, there is a problem. ^^;;