Re: [tlug] Stand Up for OpenOffice!!

On 30 janv. 07, at 00:22, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

Jean-Christophe Helary writes:

Well, the point being that there are already quite a few places that
have already decided to move to the only ISO/ODF fully supporting
application.

Sure. One of the points I'm interested in investigating is the extent to which it's a top-down thing (the Japanese case clearly is, and it would seem the same for the French case). That won't fly in a university setting, really. Academic freedom and all that.

My understanding is that even though the change is a top-down thing-> practically speaking you can't put anything on an official machine if the boss does not agree <- but it comes from a lot of lobying from the French community. They are really _that_ active.

I think a lot of places that are required to adopt ISO practices
will have to move to ODF and thus to OOo in the middle term. ODF is
still young as an ISO standard (March)

Yeah, and it will have a "little" brother this coming March, most likely, called "ISO OOXML". So Microsoft will have its own open document format with ISO sanction. We can hope it goes the way of OSI :-).

Do you think the 6000 pages will make it through the process ? I've heard that some parts of the document were incontradiction with other ISO standards etc.

JC