Re: [tlug] Stand Up for OpenOffice!!

Roger Markus wrote:

How about the other OpenOffice users in this group? Lets get some *accurate* information posted about this!

The thing is, even the harshest critics of OO would obviously be delighted to see it improve. As Stephen said, his attempts with OO have been made with the intent of trying to wean someone off of MS-Word. I am often trying to do the same thing, with similar results.

If the problems were simply those of start-up time, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but there are all kinds of other odd behaviors. The worst problem for me is the bugginess, disfunctionality, and lack of documentation of the macro aspect of Open Office. My dictionary projects are built on array of scores of VBA-Word macros, and you can just imagine how much I would love to port this system over to Open Office. But I can't even get OO macros to do the simplest operations. I can't find any *useful* documentation, and I can't see any real improvement on the way.

So I don't mean to bash OO, but I just can't see when it will ever truly become a realistic option on a broad scale.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University
Faculty of Humanities