Re: [tlug] OpenOffice - 20 Seconds on a Creaky 500MHz P-III

On 1/28/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
On an Ubuntu system running from a Live CD, it took over 40 minutes to
get the first document window to open for OOo Writer, and another 25
minutes to quit.  This was on a student's 1.8 MHz Celeron with 256MB
RAM, about 9 months old.  (I assume this had something to do with the
fact that X was occupying 220MB of RAM, and OOo Writer 235MB. :-(

Strange that someone with as much computer knowledge as yourself would offer such a ludicrous example (running from a Live CD) as if it had any meaning.  I just dug out a retired old P-III box with a 500MHz chip and it only took 20 seconds to load (on Linux, not MS-Windows - yes the 8 seconds I previously mentioned was on a Windows machine).  20 seconds.  And you claim 40 *minutes*?  I think you are a liar or else you were using a very seriously damaged machine.  Don't  you have anything better to do than attack OpenOffice?

RM