Re: [tlug] HDCP-compliant playstation 3 monitor (yellow dog linux)

Hello Shawn,

I'm a proud owner of a PS3 20GB. The only differences between this
model and the 60GB one is that it doesn't come with Wi-fi capabilities
and Memory Stick/SD/CompactFlash Slots, besides smaller disk capacity.
I'd rather use an Ethernet cable for my Internet connection, since is
less error-prone and I don't plan to buy a PSP to communicate to it,
therefore Wi-fi is useless to me. If you still want to use Wi-fi, you
can buy a Buffalo USB wireless card (AFAIK the latest firmware update
already supports AOSS, but it's better to confirm it). As for memory
stick slots, I use a USB adapter to read contents from my SD cards. It
also comes with HDMI and it plays Blu-Ray content the same way the
60GB model does.

Regarding monitors, you may check Dell's 2407w. It's a 24-inch
widescreen with a 1920x1200 native resolution, and it's HDCP
compliant. It doesn't support 1:1 pixel mapping, therefore the 1080p
output is stretched to 1200p, which it's barely noticeable in my
opinion.

2407w doesn't come with HDMI input, but you can use a HDMI->DVI cable
(around 2000yen at BicCamera). That's what I'm doing right now. Since
the HDMI cable also transmits sound data from the console and DVI
doesn't support it, you'll have to use PS3's optical or RCA outputs
and connect them to your stereo system in order to enjoy music and
sound effects.

If 1:1 pixel mapping and HDMI port are important to you, you may take
a look at Benq latest models, although they tend to be more expensive.
If you're not interested in 1080p, you'll be safe buying any monitor
that supports HDCP.

Right now, I'm using Debian on PS3 and I'm loving it, although it's
still not as mature as YDL. Gentoo PS3 has also been making some
progress lately.