Re: [tlug] Keyboard mappings

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 03:25:28 +0900 (JST)
Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Botond Botyanszki wrote:
>
> > Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Sounds like these keys are not generating keyboard events, but are
> > > generating some other sort of events that are trapped in some other way.
> > > Probably these are APM or ACPI events. I other words, the system doesn't
> > > see these as "keyboard keys," but sees them as separate buttons, as with
> > > the power button.
> >
> > There used to be a gnome tool (daemon) a while ago (was called acid or
> > something similar) that mapped these key events to acpi events.
>
> Uh...my point was, these are not key events; they are not seen by the
> system as keyboard keys.

Here is the thing I was talking about:
http://devin.com/acme/

IMHO this is the way it works: the responsible keys generate the
XF86PowerOff, XF86Sleep, XF86WakeUp keyevents and the window manager
intercepts these and triggers the relevant acpi events. This is why xev
doesn't show these events in case these keys are properly bound the the
above XF86* keysyms, because the window manager never passes the event on
to the window (of xev).
Under gnome, there is a control-panel tool called
gnome-keybinding-properties to configure these keys and save the
preferences in GConf under /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/keybindings/. With
this it is possible to bind any keycombo to those actions listed.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.