Re: [tlug] Computer "fixed" with Linux

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Dave M G wrote:

First, Windows codecs for most video files, especially AVI:

Just as a note: AVI is a container, not a codec. The video content within the AVI container could be encoded with any of a number of codecs. The same goes for the audio.

This means, for example, that you may not be able to play one AVI file,
but might be able to play another. This tends to be quite confusing to
people until things are explained.

BTW, I'm very pleased to hear about your success with getting a
multimedia-enabled Linux system up and running. If you ever decide to do
a similar conversion experiment with office software, I'm sure we'd all
love to hear the result.

cjs