Re: [tlug] Keyboard mappings

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:04:06 +0900
Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

> The "Sleep" button seems to initiate a locked mode of the screen saver,
> so that if I press "Wake Up", I have to enter in a password.
>
> It seems that there is some setting thing called "xmodmap" involved.

Not really. From what you say looks to me that the keys work, but the
action bound to them needs to be changed.
There are a bunch of utilities/deamons that can be responsible. acpid and
apmd are two of those (possibly you have acpi), but AFAIK you also need
another tool under X that will map the X keypress events to acpi events
or execute an action directly. It's been a long time when I last fiddled
with these things.
I recommend to look at your process list and try to identify any
responsible processes for this task. For example acpid has a bunch of
scripts under /etc/acpi/, (same with apmd). You can then modify the
action for each event.
Somebody more experienced with the recent ubuntu tools might help you out.