Re: To package or not to package (Was: [tlug] Well now I'm hosed - Dapper/Edgy died)

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

Godwin Stewart writes:

> My reasons for using a source-based distro(*) are pretty much identical
> to yours but with another aspect that seems to have been overlooked:
> the dreaded "-devel package" syndrome.

I've always been of the opinion that a library distributed without the
headers is incomplete and broken.  Practically nobody agrees, it
seems, and definitely not the people who run the distros. :-(

I agree. What on earth is the advantage of not installing header files with the libraries? Surely the savings of a few kilobytes of disk space, when you're already installing hundreds of kilobytes of libraries, is insignificant.

On my system, header files seem to add about 10% to the space requirements:

    stoic $ du -hs /usr/pkg/include /usr/pkg/lib
    68M     /usr/pkg/include
    643M    /usr/pkg/lib

cjs