Re: To package or not to package (Was: [tlug] Well now I'm hosed - Dapper/Edgy died)

> > Should a transition to source based distros make my life easier as a
> > sysadmin? Would I have more fun as a desktop user?
>
> The big advantage of a source-based distro to me, both as a sysadmin
> and a desktop user, is that I have control over compile-time feature
> selection. This helps prevent big dependency nightmares.

can you say more about this.  Wouldn't a non-sysadmin like me be
overwhelmed or would I in most cases stick to the defaults.

> YMMV, of course, but you should give Gentoo a serious look on a
> desktop box. Who knows, you might be the next convert. :)

Both you and Dr. Turnbull have recommended it so I tried a live DVD but
it was no-go on my system which needed a 2.6.18 kernel or higher.

Here is what I think you (Josh) should do for us and most importantly
for yourself. Figure out how to get it up and running on XEN (that is
for you) and then give a seminar on it so that we may learn both (XEN
and Gentoo).  Just keep in mind to point out the differences between a
normal install and one for XEN and we'll be able to eventually get it to
be our main system.  Just a thought...not an expectation.

Shawn