Re: [tlug] Halfway between Dapper and Edgy

From: Dave M G <martin@example.com>
<snip>
However, long story short, there was one error in installing X11R6
that
held up the installation. I got help off the Ubuntu mailing list to
get
past that error, but then when I tried to continue the install
process,
it halts on a whole bunch of "broken packages".
<snip>

Not sure if it's a case of gawd protecting the children and newbies, but I've been in similar places in Ubuntu a couple of times, usually with very little idea of how I'd gotten there... My main conclusion was that Ubuntu/Debian is quite robust and fixable, though I mostly didn't really know what I was doing to fix it. The broken time that sounds closest to what you're describing, I wound up running a rather obscure command that I can't even remember. Sorry to make it into a crossword puzzle, but all I can recall now is that it was four letters beginning with a "d", it had one parameter, and it ran for a while and fixed the machine enough so that I could recover it the rest of the way using apt-get... My fuzzy understanding is that this utility program is actually a lower level of apt-get, but my personal goal is to stay as much at the high levels as possible.

(Currently I rate my Ubuntu machines as 90% installed as Dapper, 75% installed as Edgy, and one machine with two Ubuntu partitions that are both 100% installed as Edgy by slightly different routes.)