Re: [tlug] "strange antipathy towards Unicode" . . . . . . . . (was: Re: Learn a Variety of Languages)

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Jim wrote:

...which I understand as meaning that there shouldn't be any problem
with Japanese _only_ text, even mixing kanji, hiragana, and katakana.
My understanding is that the problem occurs when one mixes Chinese
characters from different CJK languages in olain text Unicode.

Right. The Unicode standard specifically says, "we do not support determining what language you're writing in; use something else to do that." Some Japanese people, it appears, can't accept that.

I'm not sure why. French users do not have a big problem, when using
ISO-8859-1, with the problem that they can't determine whether the
string "problem" is in English or French.

cjs