[tlug] "strange antipathy towards Unicode" . . . . . . . . (was: Re: Learn a Variety of Languages)

Curt Sampson wrote:

> ... Japanese software tends to be worse at language processing
> than other systems [because] the Japanese tend to have this
> strange antipathy towards Unicode.

Here's toward understanding the issue:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_unification

which I understand as meaning that there shouldn't be any problem
with Japanese _only_ text, even mixing kanji, hiragana, and katakana.
My understanding is that the problem occurs when one mixes Chinese
characters from different CJK languages in olain text Unicode.

Most folks don't read things with mixed CJK language Chinese
characters, so Unicode should not be a problem for most folks.

The problem is for folks who need to mix Chinese characters
from multiple CJK languages in a single plain text Unicode document.
I guess there would also be a problem supporting multiple CJK
languages on a single system, even when each plain text Unicode document
is in a single CJK language, because one would have to choose which
language to view each document in.

The antipathy might not be by just the Japanese,
and it might not be so strange.