Re: [tlug] Command line way to wake up, and put to sleep, the screen?

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Dave M G wrote:

I'm not sure about that process, so don't quote me, but it's something like that.

Many "screensaver" programs were originally designed to reduce CRT monitor burn-in by either blanking the screen or varying the image on it over time. (Long periods of time with the same static screen display are what cause phosphor burn-in on CRT monitors.) These don't serve any particular purpose on LCD monitors, except perhaps as a "screen lock" to keep others from seeing what's on the screen and using the computer.

Later, a standard called DPMS was introduced; this allows changing the
signal going to the monitor to allow the monitor to power-down to some
degree. This introduced four states, normal, standby, suspended and off,
which are set by removing certain synchronization signals on the video
connector. Below normal, the states display nothing on the screen, and
use progressively less power. With CRT monitors the time it took to
bring back the image took progressively longer, but with LCD monitors
there tends to be very little difference.

Here's a script I use under X11 called "blank":

    #!/bin/sh
    sleep 1
    xset dpms force off

The sleep is there because sometimes X11 seemed to recognise the Enter
keypress used to start the script as being recent enough to cause it to
immediately bring back the display again.

I also use "xset dpms 0 0 600 s on" in my .xinitrc file.

cjs