[tlug] Re: Bourne Shell is the most appropriate scripting language

Botond Botyanszki wrote:

> > > Portability is a good thing, so write according to the Bourne shell.
> > > It's the most standard.
>
> By which you mean #!/bin/bash

No.

When I say "write according to the Bourne shell",
I mean to restrict what one writes to the
classic abilities of the Bourne shell,
avoiding the advanced features of newer shells
(such as but not limited to not bash).

Of course, on a Linux box, the most likely program one
would use to _execute_ a classic Bourne shell script
would be bash.

There is a distinction languages and the programs used to execute them.
I.e., there is a distinction in which dialect one _writes_ in
and which proram one is likely to use to _execute_ it.

Remember that the original question was

   What is the most appropriate scripting language

not what is the most appropriate program to run program
written in that language, although I've addressed both
issues.