Re: [tlug] Parking domains?

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:12:52 +0900, Dave M G <martin@example.com>
wrote:

> I'm hoping to clear up some confusion I have about aliasing domains.
> Is this the same as "parking" a domain?

No.

Aliasing a domain is what you described - having more than one domain
point to the same website. Parking a domain is having its DNS point
either nowhere or to a simple page saying "this domain is parked".

> What I'd like to do is have it so that when you go to domaintwo.com,
> it takes you to domainone.com, and shows the address as being
> domainone.com.

In that case you need 2 separate sites. The site at domaintwo.com would
either contain this simple PHP script in index.php:

  <?php Header("Location: http://domainone.com";); ?>

and this in .htaccess:

ErrorDocument 404 index.php

...or it can contain this voodoo in an .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule .* http://domainone.con [R]

Either way round, you still need to upload stuff to domaintwo.com.

> I could do that by having an HTML page with a page redirect on it,
> but that means I have to set up a domaintwo.com account and upload
> HTML files to it, which seems a bit tedious.

Nor does it take into account the fact that many browsers deactivate
the refresh function for security reasons and have done for years now.

> Is there any server function I can use to have domaintwo.com take a
> user to domainone.com and display domainone.com when you get there?

Both solutions I gave are server-based, but they still require the
existence of a separate document tree for domaintwo.com.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

QUARK:
        The sound made by a well-bred duck: