> Subject: Re: [tlug] New or used PDA's in Tokyo?

From: NOKUBI Takatsugu <knok@example.com>

At Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:05:49 +0900,
James Calver wrote:
Does anyone know of any good places to buy either a new or used PDA?
I imagine there must be somewhere in Akihabara, but I could probably
spend days searching around and not find anything on my own.  I'm
looking for something with just basic PDA functions.  All the fancy
bells and whistles would be nice, but I don't want to spend a lot of
money.

The largest place is Sofmap 11th, used gadgets shop. http://www.sofmap.com/tenpo/shop/tokyo_11.htm (Japanese)

If you want to buy new PDA, I can suggest to you MoilePLAZA, but the
place is a little bit hard to find.
http://www.mobileplaza.co.jp/

Do you know if this MobilePlaza place can also do battery replacements? I'm so fed up with Windows Mobile device that I'm just about ready to go back to my ancient Sony Clie. (Not sure if I should add this comment, but as a former Sofmap employee, I basically don't do any business with them these years, even though I still do business with the new owner, Bic Camera.)

Regarding the PDAs, I felt like I was strongly pressured to switch by Sony's punting. Not just the failing battery, but the inability to get any repairs and the end of software updates. Gosh, but Windows Mobile reeks (like the proverbial big dog's m0e). The Japanese PDA market seems to be mortally moribund. I feel obliged to note that Windows Mobile is really and truly insufferable. In any sort of a fair and open market, Microsoft's abysmal competitor would have been really and truly crushed. Unfortunately, Microsoft's losses in the PDA market are easily ignored--by Microsoft, though I'd wager they exceeded Palm's greatest profits. So sad that Palm got suckered into committing suicide by feeping creaturitus...

Expecting to see some of y'all tomorrow. Probably too late to ask now, and there was no interest when I mentioned it before, but if I haul the SCSI CD-R down for the auction, would there be any bidders? Scarcely used, but I rather doubt anyone would be interested... Jya, mata.