Re: [tlug] Xen advice, please

mcooper wrote:
It must be nice to be able to use VMWare, but then again, the scale here is so small that I couldn't justify the expense.

I can understand that the VMWare people are telling everyone you should buy their expensive(!) software rather than using their free Server/Player version :-)

Well, I'm certainly not an expert in this matter but I can tell from experience that it (free VMWare Server [1]) runs fine, both on Windows 2k3 and Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS host machines.

I've read several articles pointing out the much lower overhead of Xen compared to VMWare but - unless you really need all the CPU power you can get - just give VMWare a try, I'd say. Installation and configuration is pretty straightforward. Deployment of new guest VMs is a breeze. They have lots of pre-built virtual appliances [2] that you can download and try out.

[1] http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html
[2] http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/

Peter

PS: I'd love to talk to people who actually installed Xen. Perhaps at the next TLUG meeting?